VP Robredo denies involvement in leaked emails

VP Robredo denies involvement in leaked emails

Philippine Vice Leni Robredo has dismissed the allegations that she was involved in the alleged leaked emails about a plan to unseat President Rodrigo Duterte.

This comes after reports revealed that a Yahoo! group contained emails of Robredo’s supporters plotting to oust the president.

“Hindi ko alam kung ano ang participation ko. Nami-mention daw ang pangalan ko, pero hindi ako kabahagi nu’ng grupong iyon (I don’t know what is my participation there. I was told that my name was mentioned but I’m not part of that group),” Robredo said in an interview in Marinduque on Monday, January 9.

Pro-Duterte blogger “The Thinking Pinoy” posted the so-called ‘#LeniLeaks’ on its page, citing emails and information from a Yahoo group named “Global Filipino Diaspora Council.”

One of the emails in the thread suggested that Duterte resign.

“The only way to fight this evil plot to unseat VP Leni is to ask Duterte to resign. After all, he promised to resign in six months if he has not solved the drug epidemic in the Philippines,” the email said.

It further read, “He (Duterte) asked for an extension of another six months. Extension denied! Join Duterte Resign Movement.”

In response, the vice president said, “Wala, hindi rin ako kabahagi doon (No, I’m also not part of it).”

Robredo went on to remark that she has been on the receiving end of fake news.

The vice president said she’d rather focus on her job instead of the ‘ridiculous’ allegations against her.

“Pero sa akin, as much as possible, gusto ko sanang mag-concentrate sa trabaho, kasi ang tingin ko lang, ang daming viciousness ngayon sa internet (For me, as much as possible, I want to concentrate on my job, because I think there is a lot of viciousness now on the internet),” Rodredo said.

Robredo also denied being in contact with Filipino-American philanthropist Loida Nicolas-Lewis, a known supporter of the Liberal Party, who was part of the controversial thread.

“Ni personal meeting, ni tawag sa telepono, hindi po kami nagtawagan o nag-meet sa Amerika. Kaya ‘yung kumakalat na balita hindi po iyon totoo (Not a personal meeting nor a phone call. We didn’t even met in America. The circulating news was fake),”  Robredo said.

The vice president traveled to the United States with her children last month to spend the holidays.

In response to the allegations, Malacañang said it is conducting an investigation regarding the matter.

“It’s a serious matter sapagkat may nakasulat doon kung paano nila papag-resign-in si President Duterte (It is a serious matter because it is written there how they will make President Duterte resign)… Siyempre, that does not sit well with us in the government because any move to oust the President is not good and it is definitely illegal,” Communications Secretary Martin Andanar told radio DZMM.

He also acknowledged that Robredo may not be part of the rumored ouster plot.

“It’s possible she didn’t know,” Andanar said.

TOP
Email Email  |  Print Print
No
Comments

Leave a Reply