THE anticipated rematch between Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao and Australian boxer Jeff Horn is likely to happen in the Philippines, according to Philippine Department of Tourism (DOT).
While negotiations have yet to be finalized, DOT Secretary Wanda Teo on Tuesday, August 22 announced that the rematch will possibly take place at the 55,000-seater Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.
As for the date, the tourism chief said they are eyeing December 15.
“Just this morning we have talked to Congressman Eric Pineda. He was asking us if we could sponsor the Pacquiao fight this coming December. So we’re working on that,” the tourism chief told reporters.
Pineda is Pacquiao’s business manager, as well as the 1-PACMAN party-list Representative.
Teo’s announcement came in contrast to Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk who previously said that Australia will again host the fight.
“This (rematch) is now confirmed it will happen. I have had a meeting earlier today which has confirmed that Manny Pacquiao will definitely be in Brisbane this year for a rematch with Jeff Horn,” Quirk told Sydney Morning Herald.
Pacquiao lost his World Boxing Organization (WBO) Welterweight title to Horn through a unanimous decision on July 2 in a match held at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Australia. Judges gave scores of 117-111, 115-113, 115-113, all in favor of Horn.
“The details around a renewed contract will have to be worked through but given what I have not been advised today through Duco and Top Rank, we are in a position now where Brisbane Marketing will be re-engaged to get involved in the negotiation plan,” Quirk said on Monday, August 21.
He then added, “The good news is Manny Pacquiao will definitely be here to fight Jeff Horn this year.”
Top Rank Promotion’s Bob Arum previously said that the rematch would be held in Brisbane on November 12.