Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Tuesday, January 2 clarified that his family had no knowledge of any submitted draft proposal for a compromise deal with the Philippine government concerning his family’s alleged ill-gotten wealth.
“The Marcos family has no knowledge or information on the apparent exchange and service of document between Attorney Lozano and the office of Secretary [Salvador] Panelo,” Marcos said in a message to reporters.
The former senator also clarified that lawyer Oliver Lozano, a known Marcos loyalist, is neither affiliated nor represents the Marcos family.
“As a point of information, Attorney Oliver Lozano does not represent any member of the Marcos family or the estate of the late President Ferdinand Marcos,” he added.
Earlier on Monday, January 1, Panelo confirmed that his office received a draft from Lozano proposing a share of the Marcoses’ wealth and properties in exchange of in exchange for the lifting cases against their family.
The Marcos loyalist also suggested the creation of a legal team that would study the government’s compromise agreement with the Marcoses.
Panelo, however, clarified that Malacañang had taken “no action” on Lozano’s proposal.
“The document was sent to the office by Attorney Oliver Lozano,” Panelo said. “Our office as a matter of courtesy and policy acknowledges receipt of any letter coming from any citizen. No action has been taken on Attorney Lozano’s proposal.”
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque also denied that the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte has already forged an agreement with the late strongman’s heirs concerning the family’s wealth.
“There is no truth to the allegation that the government has reached a compromise agreement with the family of the late President Ferdinand Marcos,” Roque said.
In a separate statement, the Palace official also noted that any compromise between the government and the Marcoses would require the approval of Congress.
“The president has spoken. He said if there are (Marcos) properties that can be used to support the country, a law is needed. It is clear to the President that the decision does not rest on him alone. It is also a decision to be made by Congress because we have a law that punishes those who are guilty of plunder,” Roque told radio station dzBB.
“Such law will be facing a lot of challenges and a law solely about the Marcoses cannot be passed. It will violate what we call the equal protection law. But the President has said any agreement between the government and the Marcoses would require a law,” he added.
In August last year, Duterte revealed the Marcos family has expressed willingness to return their alleged ill-gotten wealth—including few gold bars—back to government.
The Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG), the commission tasked to recover the alleged ill-gotten wealth from the Marcoses and their cronies, was so far able to recover at least P170.4 billion of the family’s assets.